Announcing SlutWalk London 2012
You are all invited to SlutWalk London 2012!
THE RADICAL NOTION THAT NOBODY DESERVES TO BE RAPED
MEET 12.30 at Top of Piccadilly. SET OFF at 1.30pm.
Saturday 22nd September 2012
Route: Piccadilly > Piccadilly Circus > Haymarket > Pall Mall East > Trafalgar Square
March Ends: 2.30pm at Trafalgar Square; anyone who cannot make the march can meet us there for the rally!
Estimated Marching Time: 1-1 and a half hours.
March Length: 0.8 miles
Rally: There will be a rally in Trafalgar Square with speakers, which will take about 1-1 and a half hours. The rally will definitely be finished by 5pm when we have to leave the square; anyone booking coaches should keep this time in mind as while the rally is likely to be over by 3.30-4pm, we can’t predict everything.
Toilets: Public toilets at Green Park Tube Station, in Green Park, in Piccadilly Circus tube station and in Trafalgar Square. Only the Trafalgar Square toilets have wheelchair access.
Accessibility: There are no steps on the route, however it goes uphill at Piccadilly and downhill at Haymarket. There is a lift at Trafalgar Square which is suitable for wheelchairs.
Parking: Please note - there will be limited vehicle access to Trafalgar Square and the route area. We cannot guarantee nearby parking.
Seating: There will be seating areas at the sides of the stage.
Last year a Toronto policeman told a group of law students that in order to avoid being raped ‘women should avoid dressing like sluts’.
Sadly there are many people who share this attitude. Women are constantly made to feel like they are to blame: told they should not look a certain way, should not go out at night, should not get drunk, should not wear high heels or make up or should not be alone with someone they don’t know. Not only does this divert attention away from the real cause of the crime - the rapist - but it creates a culture where rape is OK, where it’s allowed to happen… after all, she must have been asking for it, right?
NO. Let’s raise our voices and tell the world that rape is never, ever OK.
Not if she was wearing a miniskirt or a veil. Not if she was naked. Not if she was drunk. Not if she was your wife, girlfriend, daughter or friend. Not if she was under 16 or a pensioner. Not if she was a woman of colour, an immigrant or claiming asylum. Not if she was a sex worker or in trouble with the law. Not if she was queer or trans. Not if she had mental or physical disabilities. Not if the victim was male.
We are tired of who we are, our sexuality and our choices being used as an excuse for rape. We want the freedom to love and live as we choose.
The only way to stop rape is to put the blame where it belongs – on the rapist, whether they were a stranger, partner, client, relative, colleague, friend, or someone in authority. This is the duty of the police and courts, but instead of protecting us they are denying survivors of rape justice and allowing rapists to continue. Women searching for justice and safety from their attackers are faced with biased police, Crown Prosecution Service and judges who question what women did to deserve or provoke rape, our sexual or medical history, our occupation, our right to be in the UK… no wonder only 7 out of every 100 reported rapes end in a conviction.
So let’s turn up and take a stand. Everyone is welcome - all genders (men included!), races, religions, ages and sexualities. Bring friends, family and banners, and come along feeling beautiful, ready to show the world that we are proud of our sexuality and that there is never any excuse for rape.
~~~~How you can help~~~~
Why are you marching? We need as many people as possible to speak out against the excuses that are made for rape. Tell us why you are marching with us on the 22nd and we will publish it on our website. Email us your story at email@example.com
We still need some money to cover the costs of the PA system, banner material, jackets for stewards etc. We would be very grateful for any donations. You can donate here -http://bit.ly/slutwalk2012donate
We are looking for stewards to assist on the day of the march. If you would like to help out please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- lesitedupharmacien likes this
- adderall-side-effect likes this
- kerstshultz likes this
- isleepnow likes this
- fuckthespacepatriarchy reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup and added:
- ohdeargodwhy reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- j3ssticl3s likes this
- nothing-more-than-a-casual-fuck likes this
- iamselfish-iam-brave likes this
- perilous-realms reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- ksefan9120 likes this
- dontshowemkid reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup and added:
- lazy-flower likes this
- tellmewhyicant97 reblogged this from illegal-immoral-or-fattening
- illegal-immoral-or-fattening reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- nataliemartin reblogged this from project-babe
- zeuxo likes this
- project-babe reblogged this from dirtygrrrl
- kumikodecay reblogged this from dirtygrrrl
- hurricane-girls likes this
- grrrlgoneriot reblogged this from dirtygrrrl
- dirtygrrrl reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- apisdea reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- haslondonbrokenyourheart likes this
- chessieness likes this
- angryadorable reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- corvuswells reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup and added:
- deductionwiththedoctor reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- femme-garcon likes this
- the-uglybugball reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- forgetobscenememories likes this
- wordordeed likes this
- birdh0use likes this
- novelfigure likes this
- theinfectionwithin likes this
- ggaia likes this
- disappear0here likes this
- plumestorytellers likes this
- sallybonsall reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- american-ruby likes this
- the-shoulder-shrug likes this
- winterspass reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- winterspass likes this
- cherre-mode likes this
- steroids-uk reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- guppysvissticks reblogged this from femblr
- coursdedormir reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
SlutWalk London 2012 - Saturday 22nd September 2012, meet 12.30pm at Top of Piccadilly (near Hyde Park Corner).
Tell us you're coming on Facebook!
Donate to SlutWalk London 2012! We have raised £1358 and need another £500 to cover the costs of the PA system, banner material and jackets for stewards. Thank you so much to everyone who has donated already.
SlutWalk London 2012!
Sheila Farmer's prosecution dropped
Photos: Tom Radenz and Claire Butler