Visibility of Women of Colour in SlutWalk London
The idea for our meeting grew out of SlutWalk 2011 which some of us took part in. When we heard of SlutWalks happening around the world, in Brazil, Costa Rica, India and Morocco we knew that many women of colour were involved, including immigrant women seeking asylum inthe UK and sex workers. But this was hidden by the media. We intend to be vocal and visible in SlutWalk 2012.
Why should we meet as women of colour?
Because we want to:
• Celebrate our participation in SlutWalk and the work that we have been doing since SlutWalk began.
• Speak out against the racism we and our communities face from the authorities, NGOs … when we try to get protection and justice from sexual and other violence.
• Talk about how poverty and government cuts make us vulnerable to violence. And work with other movements including Occupy and the anti-cuts groups, to show the connections between our issues
• Show SlutWalk is important because victim blaming and slut shaming are not disconnected from sexism and racism. SlutWalk is part of the anti-rape movement and we want to make it part of the anti-racist movement too
We refuse to work in isolation and will continue to:
• Campaign against being silenced and dismissed
Expose how the 1% aim to divide us and prevent the 99% from coming together
SlutWalk is for all - we all belong together, no matter who we are/how we dress/what we do
This event is organised by women of colour but all are welcome.
FACEBOOK EVENT PAGE - Here.
To RSVP please e-mail: email@example.com
Or call 020 7482 2496
- rudums-wee reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- gaspundkiss reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- cats-are-great-man reblogged this from slut-shaming
- what-about-rape reblogged this from slut-shaming
- ereyes312 reblogged this from slut-shaming
- levlyb reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- chokeonthefuckery reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup and added:
- iamfeminist reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- lusilly likes this
- yourhairwasmermaidblue likes this
- slutwalksignideas reblogged this from slutmeansspeakup
- slutmeansspeakup posted this
SlutWalk London 2012 - Saturday 22nd September 2012, meet 12.30pm at Top of Piccadilly (near Hyde Park Corner).
Tell us you're coming on Facebook!
Donate to SlutWalk London 2012! We have raised £1358 and need another £500 to cover the costs of the PA system, banner material and jackets for stewards. Thank you so much to everyone who has donated already.
SlutWalk London 2012!
Sheila Farmer's prosecution dropped
Photos: Tom Radenz and Claire Butler